Data Science vs Web Development: What to choose in 2023?
One of the most dramatic shifts happening right now is the rise of data science and its impact on web development. These two fields aren’t mutually exclusive—they can coexist and even complement each other—but they require different skill sets and approaches.
This article will overview these two disciplines and their similarities and differences. We’ll also talk about the future scope of data science.
What is data science?
Data science is the process of concluding data. In the business context, this means taking information about your customers and using it to make better decisions about how you run your business. Data science allows businesses to be more efficient, effective, and profitable by helping them make sense of their data and apply it appropriately.
The future scope of data science is excellent. Businesses need data science to analyze their customers’ behavior, understand what they want, and meet those needs while ensuring that they’re maximizing profits. Data science helps businesses do this by providing customer insights.
Data scientists use various languages and platforms to help them collect, analyze, and interpret data. These include Python, R, SQL, and Matlab.
Want to know the basics of data science? Check out our blog on data science’s four pillars for more information.
Why choose data science?
- It’s a great way to ensure your data is accurate and reliable.
- It helps you better understand what’s happening in your industry and how it affects your business.
- It can help you predict future trends, stay ahead of the curve, and remain competitive.
- It can help you develop new products or services that suit your customers’ needs better than ever before.
- It helps you understand how people use your product or service and why they aren’t using it as much as you intended.
- It helps you analyze what happens when there’s an issue with one of your products or services, providing opportunities for improvement.
What is web development?
Web development is building a website or application on a web server. It includes creating the content and the coding that make up your site. Businesses need web development because it’s essential to have an interactive online presence. The more people can find your business on the Internet, the more they will prefer you for their next purchase.
Why choose web development?
- You can create a website for a business, organization, or event you want to promote.
- You can add engaging features to your digital presence, like a contact form, newsletter signup, and more.
- It’s a creative way to showcase your skills as a developer and designer—you might even get hired by someone who sees your portfolio!
- Many free resources make learning web development and design basics easy.
Want to know more about the critical differences between business analysts and data analysts? Check out this blog for more detailed information.
Key differences between data science & web development
|Data Science||Web Development|
|Data science is more about applying science and algorithms to data.||Web development is more about building the infrastructure that makes things work.|
|Regarding data science vs web development, data scientists take a data set from multiple sources and analyze it to produce usable insights.||Web developers may only be able to use one data source and have to build their own tools for manipulation and analysis.|
|Between data scientist vs full stack developer, data scientists are more likely to work with large amounts of data.||Between data scientist vs full stack developer, web developers are more likely to work with small amounts of data.|
|People from different backgrounds can take up data science (e.g., math majors).||Web development usually requires specialized knowledge in one area (e.g., computer science).|
Want to know more about the industry demand for data science? Check out our blog on data science demand for more information.
What’s best for you?
If you’re looking to make more money right now, data science is the way to go, as the future scope of data science looks bright. Web development might be the best option if you’re looking to build a design structure in tech.
Web development jobs are often less paying than data science jobs. The average salary for data scientists is about INR 10 LPA, while the average salary for a web developer is around INR 7 LPA. However, this does not consider bonuses and other benefits that can come with being a web developer (such as stock options). This proves that the future scope of web development is also robust.
Pros of a Web Developer
- You have the ability to work independently.
- You can create an online presence for a brand/business.
- You can reach a wider audience and market share.
- As a web developer, you help improve a business’s image, credibility, and trustworthiness among customers.
- You will likely boost profits by providing new features and tools that increase sales, reduce costs, and improve efficiency for a company’s website.
Want to know why data science is important? Check out our blog on why data science is essential for more information.
Pros of a Data Scientist
- You’re not tied to a particular set of hours, so you can work when it’s most convenient.
- Data science is a flexible job but also a global one. You can work from home or travel around the world and still be able to connect with other data scientists and clients.
- No one else is going to tell you what to do—you’ll have total control over your time, projects, and career path.
- With so many fields involved in data science (statistics, machine learning, programming), there’s always something new for you to learn!
Want to know more about the job roles of a data scientist? Check out our blog on data science job roles for more information.
Data science programs at Online Manipal are a great place to start to enter this field. Designed by the expert faculty of Manipal academy of Higher Education (MAHE), online M.Sc. in Data Science covers Computational Mathematics, Programming, Statistics, Machine Learning Techniques and others. Postgraduate Certificate Program in Data Science & Machine Learning from Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) is a nine-month intensive training program in these evolving domains. The program contains practical sessions that help you apply your knowledge in real-world scenarios.
These programs are taught by expert instructors passionate about teaching. These instructors have years of experience teaching people how to code in real-world environments, which means they can offer students valuable insight into what it takes to succeed after graduation.
- Data science is a vast field—some scientists might work with medical records, while others might focus on finding patterns in traffic flow.
- In both cases, though, they’re using data to help companies make better decisions about how they operate their businesses.
- Web Developers maintain existing websites to run smoothly and efficiently for users who regularly visit (and purchase something!).
Information related to companies and external organizations is based on secondary research or the opinion of individual authors and must not be interpreted as the official information shared by the concerned organization.
Additionally, information like fee, eligibility, scholarships, finance options etc. on offerings and programs listed on Online Manipal may change as per the discretion of respective universities so please refer to the respective program page for latest information. Any information provided in blogs is not binding and cannot be taken as final.
Enroll with us
Interested to join our courses?
Share your details and we'll get back to you.
Become future-ready with our online M.Sc. in Data Science programKNOW MORE