BFSI stands for Banking, Financial Services and Insurance and is an umbrella term for the industries that offer financial products and services. If you want to pursue a career in companies that deal with BFSI, you can opt for an MBA in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance. This is a 2-year postgraduate course offered by many institutions across India.
MBA BFSI helps you to develop the skills and experience needed to succeed in the BFSI industry. Read this blog to learn everything you need to know about MBA in BFSI and how to become a banker in India.
An overview of MBA in BFSI
|MBA BFSI Full-Form||Masters of Business Administration in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance|
|MBA BFSI Course Level||Postgraduate|
|MBA BFSI Course Duration||2 years|
|MBA BFSI Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree|
|MBA BFSI Course Fee||Ranges between INR 1,20,000 to INR 25,00,000|
|MBA BFSI Examination type||Semester pattern|
|MBA BFSI Admission||Merit-based or entrance-based|
|MBA BFSI Average Salary||Starting salary range of INR 3 lakhs to INR 7 lakhs per annum|
|MBA BFSI Recruiting Companies||ICICI, State Bank of India (SBI), YES Bank, HCL, Bajaj Alliance, etc.|
|MBA BFSI Job profiles||Accounts Manager, Equity Research Analyst, Business Analyst, Executive Assistant, Corporate Analyst, Marketing Manager, Marketing Analyst, Finance Manager, Cashier, Investment Banker, etc.|
What is an MBA BFSI?
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) is a course that helps you build a strong foundation in the BFSI sector. You will learn about the various skills and tools needed to succeed in the Finance sector. This course mainly covers these topics:
- Risk Management
- Financial Accounting
- Working Capital Management
- Investment Banking
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business Valuation, and much more.
Who can enrol in the MBA BFSI programme?
- The age limit for the candidates to apply for MBA in BFSI in India differs from one college to another. However, the average age of candidates ranges from 21 – 27 years old.
- The candidates who want to apply for the MBA BFSI programme need to complete a bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent degree) from a recognised university. The degree could be Business Administration, Banking & Finance, or other commerce streams.
- The candidate must have scored at least 55% of the maximum marks or 6 GPA in their bachelor’s degree examination. However, the exact requirement of the scores might differ for various colleges.
- Also, there is a minimum cut-off score from a standard entrance examination for MBA BFSI admission.
Admission procedures to enrol in an MBA BFSI course
To secure admission to an MBA in Banking and Finance course, you need to make sure of the following:
The universities and colleges offering MBA BFSI courses require the candidates to appear for standard entrance examinations. Some examples of the standard entrance examinations are CAT, ATMA, CMAT, XAT, GMAT, etc. Some universities organise their entrance examination for admissions into their MBA BFSI course. Very few institutions only look at the candidate’s academic history for the admissions process.
After scoring above the cut-off percentage in the standard entrance examinations, the candidates may be required to appear for group discussions and personal interviews.
After succeeding in the interview round, the candidates will be offered the admission letter for the MBA BFSI program.
How can I pursue an MBA in BFSI?
If you are interested in pursuing a BFSI MBA, you can do it via 3 different modes: online, distance education, or regular offline classes.
- In online mode, you will attend all your courses and exams using internet-enabled devices such as computers, mobiles, etc. This mode offers flexibility in terms of time and place to the candidates. They can take up the courses according to their own pace and availability.
- In distance learning mode, the teacher and candidates are separated by time and distance. It uses various media for communication, physical books, e-books, online courses and occasional face-to-face classes. Generally, the candidates have to be physically present for the examinations in a distance learning programme.
- In a regular or offline mode of education, the candidates are expected to attend colleges and universities for lectures and lessons. Offline mode enables the students to interact face-to-face with their teachers, peers, etc.
Online Manipal offers a 2-year MBA in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance programme that is completely online.
Future prospects after an MBA BFSI course?
After completing an MBA BFSI course, you can pursue further studies in the domain of Banking and Finance, or you can start working in the BFSI industry. The following sections talk about the scope of an MBA in banking and finance.
Higher education opportunities after an MBA in BFSI
You can opt for a PhD or a doctorate in the field of Banking and Finance after completing the MBA in BFSI. You can also opt for another master’s course in a similar field to broaden your skills and knowledge. You can also pursue a second or executive MBA after getting an MBA in BFSI. Some of the courses you can pursue after an MBA in BFSI are:
- Masters in Technology in Banking
- Masters in Philosophy in Banking
- SAP Course
- NSE’s Certification in Financial Markets
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- ISB Certificate Programme in Business Analytics
- Financial Risk Manager Exam
- Doctor of Business or PhD in Business studies
- Personality Development Course
Career options with salary
There are many viable career options for you to choose from after completing an MBA in BFSI. The MBA banking and finance scope for jobs with the salary range and job description are tabulated below:
|Job position||Job description||Average annual salary|
|Investment Associate||They provide relevant banking and financial information to stockbrokers, traders, and managers. They get this information from the analysis of the global investment data.||INR 13 lakhs|
|Accounts Assistant||They provide clerical support to the accounts. They partake in jobs like filing/compiling documents, handling emails and phone calls, etc. They also aid the managers in dealing with external agencies.||INR 2.2 lakhs|
|Financial Manager||They are in charge of investigating and recommending methods to increase profitability. They are responsible for analysing markets for expansion, mergers & acquisitions, and business opportunities. Their main objective is to review financial reports, monitor accounts, and prepare financial reports & forecasts.||INR 13 lakhs|
|Business Analyst||They are responsible for developing technical solutions to financial problems. They help in the identification of goals, development of best data collection practices, and analysis of collected data to make data-driven decisions.||INR 7 lakhs|
|Market Analyst||They are in charge of analysing data to determine the consumer behaviour and trends to further improve the company’s marketing strategy.||INR 8 lakhs|
MBA BFSI course details
The MBA Banking and Finance syllabus is described in the sections below.
MBA syllabus – semester-wise breakdown
MBA in BFSI offers training in a lot of subjects in the field of Banking, Financial Services and Insurance. Some of the MBA in BFSI subjects are tabulated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Management Process and Organisational Behaviour||Production and Operations Management||Research Methodology||Strategic Management and Business Policy|
|Business Communication||Financial Management||Legal Aspects of Business||International Business Management|
|Statistics for Management||Marketing Management||4 elective courses in a chosen area||Business Leadership|
|Financial and Management Accounting||Management Information System||4 elective courses in a chosen area|
|Managerial Economics||Operations Research||Projects|
|Human Resource Management||Project Management|
Some of the elective MBA Banking and Finance subjects offered for the 3rd and 4th semesters are as follows:
Third semester: Bank Management, Financial Risk Management, Financial Statement Analysis and Business Valuation, Principles and Practices of Insurance Systems and Financial Services
Fourth semester: Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) and Treasury Management, Basel Guidelines and Risk Management, Life Insurance Management, General Insurance Movement
Why should you choose an MBA BFSI programme?
A college degree is offered to a student when they demonstrate a high level of proficiency in a subject or domain. In that regard, if you want to learn about the Banking, Financial Services and Insurance sector, MBA in BFSI is one of the best options for you. This course focuses on banking activities, business management, finance, and other important aspects of business administration.
This degree will enable the students to pursue a career in the BFSI domain. MBA BFSI is regarded as the best degree for a banking career. There are a lot of private and government banks that offer top positions to MBA BFSI graduates.
Benefits of pursuing an MBA BFSI degree programme
- Pursuing an MBA in BFSI degree is the best option if you want to develop a career in Banking, Financial Services, and insurance, investment banking, etc. It is also a great choice for candidates who want to run their own financing or insurance ventures.
- MBA BFSI courses consist of subjects and topics related to banking and finance. MBA schools generally have a broad alumni network which the students can leverage to find jobs and internships. .
- MBA courses are often complemented with placement and career assistance in the form of career workshops, mock interviews, college placements, etc.
- An MBA degree ensures that the candidates learn various skills and tools that will help them land a good job or start their business.
The next sections talk about the skills that an MBA student should acquire to land a good job.
Required skills for a job in BFSI
MBA in BFSI helps the students to acquire skills and knowledge in the banking, financial services and insurance sector. We have listed some of the skills that you will learn during the Masters in Banking and Finance programme that will help you stand out from the crowd in the recruitment process:
Soft skills: These skills help in the overall development of a student. To excel in the BFSI sector, students should possess strong skills in leadership and management.
- Time management
- Analytical thinking
- Effective communication
- Organisational skills
Technical skills: These are computer-related or task-related skills that help students to carry out their jobs effectively. For MBA in banking, students should focus on data analytics, finance, banking, project management, etc.
- Advanced Excel Functionalities
- Power BI/Tableau
- SCRUM / Agile Methodologies
Extra skills: Besides soft skills and technical skills, MBA in banking and finance students should also possess some other skills that help them achieve leadership roles.
- Team player
- Critical thought process
- CRM (Client Relationship Management)
- Other basic computer skills such as Microsoft Office, Teams, etc.
Is an online MBA a good option?
There are a lot of benefits of choosing an online MBA over the conventional offline courses:
- The students in online MBA can access live and recorded classes anytime and learn at their own pace and schedule while offline courses do not provide such flexibility.
- Online MBA courses are comparatively less expensive than offline courses. The price is comparatively higher in campus studies due to the rent, infrastructure costs, and other utilities.
- The mode of communication between an online MBA course and an offline course is also different. The offline courses are organised in physical classrooms and provide personal interaction with peers while online MBA courses are accessed online via the internet and computer.
- Both formats of MBA degrees offer different learning styles. You will have group support during offline courses while an online MBA course requires the candidate to possess a certain level of self-motivation to excel in the studies.
Why is an online MBA from Online Manipal the best option?
Manipal University Jaipur is a NAAC A+ accredited University that offers UGC recognised MBA degrees to its candidates. MBA from Online Manipal is a 2-year programme and requires 15-20 hours of learning time per week. The MBA degree from Manipal University Jaipur is accepted by many companies for hiring employees and universities for higher education. Some of the details about the MBA degrees offered by Online Manipal are mentioned below:
Eligibility requirement to get admission in MBA from Online Manipal
To pursue an online MBA from Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ), a candidate must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must have completed a bachelor’s degree course (or an equivalent course) from a recognised institution in any discipline.
- The candidate must have secured 50% marks in the bachelor’s degree examinations. The minimum marks are lowered to 45% for reserved categories.
- The candidates must provide a valid test score for any entrance examination like CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT, etc.
- The candidates who cannot provide a valid test score for any entrance examination must clear an online aptitude test conducted by the Manipal University Jaipur.
Eligibility criteria for international students for online MBA
An international candidate should meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for an online MBA at Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ):
- International candidates must have graduated from one of the AIU-approved universities. This is a prerequisite for every international student to apply to any university in India.
- Candidates who hold PIO & NRI status and reside outside India and candidates who are not Indian citizens are all considered international candidates.
- International candidates are required to pay international fees which are higher than the standard fees for the degree.
- The international candidates might be asked to submit additional documents in addition to the documents required from Indian candidates.
Online MBA course fees structure
The annual fee for the online MBA in BFSI offered by Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ) is INR 1,50,000. You can also opt to pay the fees in semester-wise instalments of INR 37,500. The fees include an examination fee of INR 5,000. Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ) offers easy financing with no-cost EMIs to fund your education.
Online MBA scholarship offered by Online Manipal
The scholarship information offered by Online Manipal is tabulated below:
|Scholarship type||Documents required||Waived % of tuition fees|
|Divyang (for people with disabilities)||Divyang certificate||20%|
|Defence personnel||Personnel/service/IC number||20%|
|Government and semi-government employees||Identity card||10%|
|Merit (more than 80% in class 12, class 10, Diploma exams)||Marksheets||10%|
Placement assistance at Online Manipal
Online Manipal also offers placement assistance to students. Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ) provides resume/CV writing workshops and interviewing tips to help students prepare for interviews and secure well-paying jobs. They also invite guest faculties from all around the world that help the students to broaden their academic and professional networks.
Additionally, in the final year of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, MUJ hosts a job fair. Job seekers can attend this job fair virtually or in person. This job fair attracts many well-established firms from various industries, providing students with an excellent opportunity to be placed in the top-tier firms.
What are the fees for the online MBA in BFSI offered by Online Manipal?
The annual fee for the online MBA in BFSI offered by Manipal University Jaipur is INR 1,50,000. You can also opt to pay the fees in semester-wise instalments of INR 37,500.
Is the MBA in BFSI course offered by Online Manipal accredited?
Yes, the MBA in BFSI course offered by Online Manipal is a UGC-entitled degree from a NAAC A+ accredited university.
What is the duration of the online MBA in BFSI offered by?
The duration of the online MBA in BFSI offered by Online Manipal is 2 years. It requires an average learning time of 15-20 hours per week.
What is the eligibility criteria for pursuing an online MBA in BFSI from Online Manipal?
The eligibility criteria for pursuing an online MBA in BFSI with Manipal University Jaipur is:
- A bachelor’s degree course (or an equivalent course) from a recognised institution in any discipline
- 50% marks in the bachelor’s degree examinations
- Valid test score for any entrance examination like CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT, etc
- If you don’t have a test score, you need to clear an online aptitude exam organised by Manipal University Jaipur.
What are the documents required for admission into the MBA in BFSI course?
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Class 10 transcript
- Class 12 transcript
- Graduation transcript
- Valid test scores of CAT / GMAT / MAT
- Graduation degree certificate
- Work experience certificate
- Scholarship documents
- Divyaang scholarship
- Defence Service certificate
- Reserved Category certificate
MBA in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance is a degree course that enables students to grasp knowledge and skills in various domains like Banking, Finance, Insurance, Investment Banking, etc. There are many MBA finance jobs that one can pursue after completing an MBA in BFSI. You can pursue a career as an Accounts Manager, Financial Manager, Financial Analyst, etc. You can also choose to develop your skills further in the BFSI domain by pursuing higher studies after an MBA in BFSI. Manipal University Jaipur offers an online MBA in BFSI course. It also offers a wide variety of electives to choose from and free access to Coursera to develop necessary skills.
Keep Reading, Keep Learning
Preparing for the post-Covid-19 world
Online degree courses at Manipal University Jaipur – All you need to know
Five ways to fund your education and get the management degree of your dreams
Trying to get into a top university? Here’s what you need to know
Online vs. campus learning: What should you opt for?