Why you should become a data scientist
- Data science combines various statistics, mathematics, and business operations. It revolves around evaluating and simplifying raw data using various artificial tools. Data science has emerged as one of the most flourishing careers in technology. Every organisation requires data scientists.
- A data scientist deals with the operations of data science. A data scientist’s basic role and responsibility is to get insight into raw data, evaluate the required and necessary information, and arrange that information so every sector of the firm can use it.
- Those who want a high paycheck and are interested in technology should pursue their career in data science. Moreover, the job opportunities in data sciences are increasing by every passing day.
- Students interested in a career in data science have the opportunity to work with international companies like Facebook, Microsoft, and Amazon.
Due to growing technology, data science has emerged as its apotheosis. A data scientist is a highly required designation in any organisation. Data science revolves around developing strategies for analysing data, exploring data, preparing data for analysis, visualising data, and using programming languages such as R and Python. Moreover, it includes using processes, algorithms, scientific methods, and systems to extract knowledge and insight from structured or unstructured data.
Data science was used long ago but recently got highlighted due to emerging technology. Nevertheless, in 1974, Peter Naur proposed it as an alternative name for computer science. However, most people ask, is data science a good career? Data science is an excellent career option in India and worldwide, with tremendous opportunities and a high-paying scale.
Moreover, it is one of the fastest growing fields in terms of technology across the globe. Data scientist salary in India is higher than most job profiles. Moreover, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, and Google are top-notch companies that need data scientists.
The career growth in data science is diverse. A data scientist can seek various job opportunities such as mathematics, research data scientist, vertical expert, data engineer, and statistician. Moreover, the best part about being a data scientist is that you are eligible for a remote job, i.e., you don’t always have to work on-site.
What is data science?
Numerous data science experts have given significant definitions to data science. However, it can be best described as a field that applies advanced analytics techniques and scientific problems to extract valuable information from data for business decision-making, strategic planning, and other uses. It combines statistics and mathematics, business, and computer science.
The demand for data scientists
Data science is a fast-growing field. Since 2012, there has been a 650 percent increase in participation in this industry. Moreover, the market is expected to grow from USD 37.9 billion in 2019 to USD 230.80 billion by 2026. The data evolved by data scientists has many different purposes, and the linking has assured data science as the most promising career with diverse job profiles.
The jobs for data scientists are open for people skilled in python, SQL, business, statistics, and computers. Data scientists have a vast knowledge of computer technology, including computer systems and programming languages. They hold their expertise in managing and analysing a large amount of data.
The role of data scientists is diverse. All types require companies to manage their data in various job profile roles. India has the best companies to work for as data scientists. Data scientists extract hidden information from huge data to provide insights for decision-making that improves the status and strength of an organisation. Moreover, it is a highly paid and prestigious position that capitalises on technological disruptions to simplify complex working.
READ MORE: Rising demand for data science in India
Benefits of data science
Data science is one of the most important aspects of technology. Being a data scientist offers various advantages, some of which are mentioned below:
- Data scientists are required in every field, be it business, mathematics, sales, marketing, or artificial intelligence. Moreover, big social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp require a team of data scientists for smooth execution of work.
- Pursuing your career in data science opens doors to various postings in sales, marketing, business, computing, etc. However, the best part is that a data scientist can work from home or remotely.
- The salary offered to data scientists is higher than the average salary received by an individual in India. Moreover, as per stats, on average, a data scientist earns around INR 10.5 Lakhs per annum.
Diverse roles and responsibilities of a data scientist
Being a data scientist is not a piece of cake. A person needs to learn, research and train oneself to be specialised in this field. Data scientists have huge responsibilities on their shoulders. Mild inconvenience to their work can affect the workflow of the whole organisation. Here are some roles and responsibilities of the data scientist:
- Take raw data and analyse it for efficient working
- Process unsaturated data so it can be useful for the company
- Analysing various patterns and trends to check the demand for a product or service in the market
- Constructing machine learning algorithms and predictive models for the execution of data
- Presenting data in the form of visuals, so it is understandable and approachable to everyone present in the organisation.
- Provide a solution to an existing problem and try to identify the upcoming error
- Collaborate and communicate with product development teams and the engineering team
Skills and tools required in data science
Data Scientists are liable for utilising their programming abilities to develop automated systems that assist organisations in further developing business activities. Their duties include gathering crude information from various sources; this involves creating new studies and transferring it into an appropriate format which is then analysed.
- A data scientist’s qualification involves a degree in computer science with good academic credentials and relevant experience in the same field.
- Data mining is analysing raw data to get favourable outcomes along with a good understanding of machine learning and operation skills.
- Knowledge and working of R, SQL, and python with reference and understanding of java, C, C+, and C++.
- Strong hold on mathematics, especially with algebra and statistics.
- Have a good understanding of business analytics and intelligence tools such as Tableau and Hadoop.
- Decision-making and problem-solving aptitude with good communication skills, written and verbal and presentation skills.
Industries that require data scientists
Data science is a flexible and vast field that is required in every organisation. The main purpose of appointing data scientists is to analyse raw data and assemble the extracted data in a useful manner. However, the following are some of the fields that are associated with data science –
- Digital marketing
- Media and entertainment
- Tech startups
Opportunities and hiring companies for data scientists
The scope for data scientists is vast. Almost every company associated or non-associated with technology requires a data scientist to examine their stats. But following are some priority companies that are hiring data scientists –
|Top companies hiring data scientists|
Career growth as a data scientist
Data science not only opens doors to various opportunities but also has terrific career growth. This field allows an individual to flourish and grow. Moreover, with time, the individual learns various new things. Data science improves the work of experts and provides them with the motivation to learn new things.
- An individual who has been in this field for more than three years is eligible to qualify as a senior data scientist.
- A data scientist can also widen his/her footstep to become a data analyst. The job of a data analyst is to gather and interpret data to solve specific problems.
- A data engineer deals with a variety of settings to build systems that collect, manage, and convert raw data into usable information for business analysts and data scientists to interpret.
- A business intelligence developer is in charge of generating, organising, and maintaining the company’s interfaces. These include data visualisations, dashboards, regular and impromptu reports, and data querying tools for users to obtain the required information.
Data scientist salary in India and worldwide
The average pay scale for a data analyst in India is around INR 90,000 per month. However, top data scientists also receive a salary of around INR 25-40 lakh per annum. A fresher may receive a package of INR 5 lakhs per annum that increases with time. Data scientists working in Bangalore and Mumbai receive the highest salary.
How to become a data scientist
A step by step process to become a data scientist –
- The aspirant needs to earn a bachelor’s degree in data science or related field.
- Academic credentials are required to ensure expertise in the field.
- Related short courses will help the individual acquire more skills.
- Work on computer language and skills associated with data science like mathematics, statistics, communication skill, and business skills.
- Check for vacancies for data scientist roles in companies
- Send your detailed resume to hiring organisations.
- Prepare yourself for an interview. The interviewer might ask you a question about why you want to become a data scientist. After a successful interview, you will work as a data scientist.
Online Manipal is a digital learning platform that enables you to pursue various degrees in business stats and science. The degrees and courses are affiliated with Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE). Currently, Online Manipal offers online M.Sc. in Data Science to prepare future-ready data scientists. The best part about Online Manipal is that you can learn at your pace with experienced faculty.
Enroll with us
Interested to join our courses?
Share your details and we'll get back to you.
Become future-ready with our online M.Sc. in Data Science programKNOW MORE